Dangerous manicure practices

BABTAC responds to alleged HIV contraction from Manicure

On 13 November 2014, the Daily Mail published an article entitled 'Woman catches HIV after having her nails done using shared manicure equipment'.

Debra Morris, Education Manager for BABTAC and CIBTAC, reiterates that the doctors quoted in the article have stated that the contraction of this disease, although unfortunate, may not have been the result of the the shared manicure implements. 

The 22-year-old woman, who has advanced HIV, has been quoted as saying she shared manicure equipment with her cousin 10 years ago. Her cousin has founbd to be infected with the HI Virus.

“This case of HIV is an unfortunate one", says Debra Morris,

But as the Doctors quoted have said, it is unlikely to have been the result of the manicure implements, and likewise consumers should not be at risk from professional treatments. A manicure should be carried out by a properly qualified professional who will sterilise equipment between each use, will never break the skin and will take care to look after the nails, nail beds and cuticles.

 The risk arises if implements are not sterilised between appointments and have come into contact not only with the blood of the carrier through a break in the skin, but also then with the blood from the next client. A good quality manicure will never break the skin, and the implements will be properly sterilised."

As with any treatment, it is about choosing a properly qualified therapist who has the right training, implements and environment. Consumers should ask about qualifications and insurance and should also ensure that they are happy with the level of cleanliness that is visible in the salon. They can also use a service like the one at trustbabtac.com to select someone who has already been checked and verified.”

Click here for the original manicure story.

And finally, here is the Professional Beauty write-up.

Read more stories in the news about manicures.